Member of the Executive Staff; Reports to the President/Chief Operating Officer
Directs and manages all Smith-Midland of Virginia’s operations in a safe, quality focused, cost efficient manner with on time delivery. Provides leadership, management, and technical expertise to all operating functions of a major precast concrete producer. Customer focused and responsive to customer requirements.
Accountability Metrics for Operations Department
- Safety: Zero recordable incidents
- identify and mitigate leading indicators of safety incidents
- Quality: 50% annual reduction in defects
- Delivery: 50% annual reduction in lead times
- Cost: 25% annual productivity improvements
- double inventory turns in 2 years
People: Improve Associate retention by 25 % annually
improve associate attitude survey results by 25% annually
General metrics: Lead effort to initiate and sustain:
- work to takt time
connect customer to work using pull system
Duties and Responsibilities
- Set and achieve annual business plan objectives (safety, quality, delivery, productivity, and people development).
- Manages the day-to-day activities of all operating departments, including manufacturing, finishing, yarding, shipping, Easi-Set building installation and maintenance. Through managers and supervisors, directs a work force of 80-150.
- Provides leadership by communicating and leading by example; ensures operations perform as outlined by company vision, mission, and values.
- In establishing the culture of the company, establishes and implements standards and procedures for all matters pertaining to operations. Automates and streamlines the same for optimum efficiency. Provides manufacturing and operating guidance and expertise to the company to ensure that all company, industry, and regulatory standards are met for our products, projects, and the company.
- Develop, coach, and build a strong, highly motivated team.
- Participates in the development of new products and procedures.
- Meets or exceeds commitment for each project by overseeing the setting and updating of schedules, assigning resources, and following up on progress to meet or beat manufacturing and shipping schedule deadlines.
- Monitors operating department’s productive output and quality and ensures continuous improvement.
- Creates and participates in a culture of safety at the plant, jobsites, and everywhere else.
- Passionate about Lean Manufacturing concepts as a catalyst towards continuous improvement. Implements techniques that are practiced in daily operational processes improving company metrics.
- Provides updated project costs to management using Cost to Complete method on a quarterly basis.
- Keeps SMC management routinely informed of project work progress, including quality and cost issues.
- Documents all changes affecting cost and schedules and communicates to sales or project management.
- 10 years of manufactured concrete experience, including 5 years in architectural precast.
- 5 years of senior manufacturing management experience at the executive level.
- Engineering degree, preferably in Industrial or Systems Engineering
- Experienced in project management.
- Excellent leadership, communication, and people skills.
- Good knowledge of computers – Excel, Word, Project Management
- Extensive Lean/ Toyota Productions System experience.
Qualified candidates contact: Estelle McClinton, email@example.com