Please apply to:
Patty Howard, Recruiting Consultant
2 South Street
Grafton, MA 01518
Opening: Engineering Manager
Reports to: General Manager
About Stonecast: Stonecast is a premier provider of superior architectural and structural precast concrete wall panels and custom cast-stone profiles. With 25-plus years of success in the precast industry, Stonecast has a reputation for excellence in high-end commercial and industrial markets. Its success has led to increased investment in capital equipment, new PCI-certified facilities, and professional staff to support extensive growth. See Stonecast projects and the industries they serve here: http://www.stonecastproducts.com/our-difference/
Used throughout the Midwest in commercial, industrial, educational, medical and municipal structures, Stonecast holds a PCI Rating of A-1 and C-3A (Precast/Prestressed Concrete Institute) and integrates quality in all aspects of its business--from safety practices through shop drawings, processes, jobsite delivery, and customer service.
About the Role: Due to significant growth, Stonecast has created the new Engineering Manager role to expand its internal engineering capabilities and oversee all engineering functions, working closely with top management to develop the engineering program. For a self-directed engineer with leadership abilities and precast experience, this is a great career opportunity at an exciting time in Stonecast’s growth. The Engineering Manager will own the engineering function for diverse and challenging precast projects, as well as be a significant contributor to Stonecast’s continued growth in a supportive and collaborative team environment.
- Required: Bachelor of Engineering (B.E.; B.Eng.; B.A.I.) AND license (PE / P.E. / Professional Engineer)
- Preferred: Master of Engineering AND license (PE / P.E. / Professional Engineer)
Engineering Manager Responsibilities:
- Project Engineer:
- Member Design, typically Wall Panel Calculations
- Lateral Design for precast structure, Connection Design, and Pole Brace Design
- Responsible for quality checking precast erection shop drawings, mold, and piece drawings, ensuring accuracy and conformance to plans and specifications.Documents created from architectural and structural documents using CAD.
- Work closely with customers, contractors, vendors, sales, engineering/project managers, production, and mold shop to establish and ensure logistics and accuracy of specifications.
- Use strategic thinking to ensure profitability, efficiency, and meeting overall goals of the project.
- Engineering review of erection drawings prior to submittal
- Engineering Coordinator—Outside Consultants:
- Coordinate preferred details and hardware with outside consultants
- Coordinate schedule and requirements with outside consultants on design calculations.
- Plant Engineer Responsibilities:
- Audit for efficient design
- Check center of gravity and handling for all pieces
- Resolve conflicts between piece drawings and production
- Repair Details and Develop a System for tracking
- Lay out strand patterns
- Resolving Material substitutions, boneyard organization and inventory
- Backup Drafting Manager:
- Scheduling Production, Project Leaders and Drafters
- Coordinating piece drawings
- Special Assignments, such as:
- Investigate cracks on panels or pieces
- Design of special yard or shop equipment
- Provide additional assistance to the team as necessary
- Develop the Engineering Design Package
- Perform sales design and value engineering
- Attend Preapproval/Approval meetings when required.
- Attend Jobsite Meetings and observations when required.
- Develop a Library of Standard lifters and Capacity.
- Develop a Library of Reinforcing Standards.
- Develop a Library of Standard Connection Details and Design Calculations
- Train Drafting Staff:
- Participate in efforts to develop written design standards within the department.
- Provide training and hold others accountable to the standards.
- Analytical Thinking: Understands how to work within a business management system. Able to apply sound engineering principles and stay current with trends and technologies to apply them when appropriate.
- Leadership: Able to motivate others to take personal responsibility; mobilize people to solve problems; develop capacity of others to adapt to change; lead past status quo to achieve new levels of excellence or change.
- Motivation: Able to present information or new ideas in a way that gets others excited; use a positive approach to motivate others at any level of the organization.
- Strategic Perspective: Able to develop long-term, big picture strategies to enhance competitiveness; recognize broad implications of issues; balance and integrate strategic vision with day-to-day activities.
- Decisiveness: Able to use available information to draw a timely conclusion and take quick action.
- Team Building: Able to develop team effort; confront negative attitudes to build commitment and morale; get facts with competing perspectives to learn from one another; integrate efforts and talents of team members.
- Commitment /Diligence: Able to persevere in accomplishing tasks or objectives with a sense of urgency about getting results; commit to long hours of work when necessary.
Prioritizing: Able to quickly focus on what is important; establish a sequence of tasks and completion dates; set priorities and allocate time and resources when faced with competing demands.
- Communication: Able to effectively relay information to employees, customers, vendors, or management team, so that it is received and understood. Being a good listener is the start of being a good communicator.
- Profitability: Able to execute leadership qualities as an instrumental part of increasing the firm’s profitability.