The primary source for the requirements outlining PCI’s Erector Certification Program is PCI Policy 29. The applicable standards and procedures for the program that support the requirements of Policy 29 have been developed in accordance with:
- ISO 10005, Quality Management - Guidelines For Quality Plans;
- ISO/IEC 17021-1, Conformity Assessment – Requirements for bodies providing audit and certification of management systems - Requirements;
- ISO/IEC 17021-3, Conformity Assessment – Requirements for bodies providing audit and certification of management systems – Competence requirements for auditing and certification of quality management systems.
PCI is accredited by the American National Standards Institute as an accredited standards developer. The nature and scope of PCI’s standards development activities are to develop and maintain voluntary consensus standards for the design, detailing, fabrication, transportation, and erection of precast and precast, prestressed concrete products.
The PCI Erector Certification Program evaluates erectors of precast concrete products against published standards. Audits are conducted by Certified Company Auditors (CCAs) approved by PCI. Erectors are evaluated on their management commitment to safety and quality, erection procedures, safety procedures, personnel, and equipment. PCI erector certification assures the project specifier and owner that the precast concrete erector has an acceptable in-house quality assurance program and has the capability to erect precast concrete products in compliance with the program’s standards under the guidance of a quality management system. An erector that meets the requirements set forth in the PCI Erector Certification Program shall be deemed a PCI-Certified Erector.
The standards (requirements) used for evaluation of an erector are published in the following PCI Quality Manuals:
- MNL-127, Erector’s Manual – Standards and Guidelines for the Erection of Precast Concrete Products
- MNL-132, Erection Safety for Precast and Prestressed Concrete
- MNL-135, Tolerance Manual for Precast and Prestressed Concrete Construction
Erector Certification Program Procedures
The following procedures outline initial and continuing certification activities, which include application processing, the initial audit, and any additional surveillance audit(s). These procedures also summarize the requirements for granting, maintaining, reducing, suspending, and withdrawing certification, as well as certification renewal. Additional information concerning PCI's erector certification program policies can be found in PCI Policy 29.