Summary: Perform engineering design for precast products to meet structural requirements, economics, constructability and quality. Communicating in a clear and concise way that is timely and drives accountability is a must.
Education or Equivalent: Bachelor of Science focused in Engineering and related experience. Master’s degree is desirable. 8+ years of structural engineering experience is desirable.
Supervisory Responsibility: This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
Computer Skills: To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of; Design software; Internet software; Spreadsheet software and Word Processing software.
Special Skills/Abilities Needed: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Nature & Scope-Principal Areas of Responsibilities: Other duties may be assigned.
- Lead 4-5 projects in various stages of design, fabrication and erection.
- Complete work on a timely basis according to the milestone schedule. When assistance is required, provide notice well in advance to be able to maintain schedule requirements.
- Assist in causing profitability of Kerkstra Precast. Search for means to reduce the cost of projects while meeting the expectations of our customers.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the structural discipline and be familiar with IBC, ACI, ASCE7 and AISC codes. Knowledge of PCI design handbook preferred.
- Must have Professional Engineer License to sign off on shop drawings for submittals to General Contractor. Performs duties of the engineer in “Responsible Charge” for the structural design and detailing of products and structures supplied by Kerkstra Precast for projects assigned.
Performs structural engineering design for precast concrete projects including the following products; hollow core, wall panels, double T’s, beams and columns, etc. Create calculation packages and prepare for submittal to General Contractor.
- Reviews detail drawings for compliance to contract drawings, specifications as well as the applicable building codes including structural design, dimensions, details, sections, and marks drawings up for revision by the detailer. Directs and oversees detailer's work on shop tickets and erection drawings.
- Create RFI’s and work with Project Management to problem solve and provide answers to questions from Architect, GC and EOR about specific details and design of projects.
- Ensure all details are made to Kerkstra Precast drawing standards. Assist with continually improving and growing standards to meet industry standards.
- Mentor Engineer EITs and engineering interns to promote growth and development.
- Coordinates other trade's requirements including: mechanical, electrical, HVAC, masonry, steel, and cast in place concrete with requirements for precast products.
- Provide engineering support to Quality control, plant fabrication and erection functions and processes.
- Reviews and decides course of action on discrepancy reports.
- Conduct/Support site observations in order to support issue resolution. This may require some travel.
- Provides structural engineering support to sales and estimating as needed including reviewing drawings, preliminary designs, and technical support on sales calls. Provides engineering support for product research.
- Educate internal and external customers on the benefits and limitations of precast products.
- Must adhere to all Kerkstra Precast and MiOSHA safety rules.
- Must work within the attendance policy guidelines.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit. The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, and reach with hands and arms. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
If you or someone you know is interested in this position, please apply on our website at https://applynow.kerkstra.com/careers/Careers.aspx?req=2020-ENGINEER-0001&type=JOBDESCR
Any questions or concerns regarding the position can be sent to email@example.com