As a technical institute, PCI develops, maintains, and disseminates the Body of Knowledge for the design, fabrication, and erection of precast concrete structures and systems by:
- Conducting research and development projects in concert with universities and research laboratories nationwide
- Publishing a broad array of technical resources including design manuals, state-of-the-art reports, periodicals, and more
- Certifying companies and individuals involved in the manufacture and erection of precast/prestressed concrete products
- Educating precast personnel and industry stakeholders on the proper specification, design, fabrication, erection, and use of precast/prestressed concrete
- Representing the industry in code advocacy activities
PCI also serves as the industry trade association, advancing members’ interests by:
- Promoting the use of structural and architectural precast concrete for a variety of applications in partnership with 11 regional affiliates across the United States
- Publishing safety manuals and materials
- Providing education and training materials
- Representing the industry through regulatory and legislative advocacy
- Offering meetings and networking opportunities, awards programs, and much more
PCI members include precast concrete manufacturers, companies that provide products and services to the industry, precast concrete erectors, and individual members, such as architects, consultants, contractors, developers, educators, engineers, and students.
PCI Brand Promise
- TO PCI MEMBERS: The Precast/Prestressed Concrete Institute creates opportunities for growth through developing, maintaining, and disseminating the principal Body of Knowledge, and certifying the capability to manufacture and install precast/prestressed concrete.
- TO DESIGNERS, SPECIFIERS, AND USERS: The Precast/Prestressed Concrete Institute supports the specifier to advance innovation in the design of building, bridge, and infrastructure projects through developing, maintaining, and disseminating the principal Body of Knowledge, and certifying the capability to manufacture and install precast/prestressed concrete.
View the PCI and How Precast Builds Design and Brand Standards
Body of Knowledge
The Body of Knowledge refers to the collective knowledge of an industry that is relied upon to design and build with a specific material or system. It is from this knowledge that building codes, design guides, education programs, certification, and everything else relied upon is derived.
Several key elements are integrated and required to develop and maintain a body of knowledge. These are often referred to as the twelve essential elements and include: Industry Standing, Clearly Stated Purpose, Broad Professional and Stakeholder Involvement, Governance and Consensus, Research, Validation, Dissemination, Certification (Personnel and Manufacturing), Independent Auditing, Feedback, and Perpetual Commitment. You can learn more about the twelve essential elements in the PCI/AISC white paper.
Code of Conduct
View the PCI Code of Conduct. This document also includes a report form for conduct violations.