This facility houses Virginia Tech’s men’s and women’s basketball programs. The space has two full-length basketball courts, offices, spacious men’s and women’s locker rooms, weight room, and all the necessary support areas for both basketball programs. One major design challenge was to ensure that the new facility blended with the existing architecture of the campus. In order to match the Hokie stone of other existing structures, including the color of existing precast, the precaster used a custom, buff limestone finish on the precast concrete panels.
Several custom imprints, such as basketballs, Virginia Tech logos, and an 1872 seal were cast into the panels. Due to the nature of precast, the building was able to be erected despite poor weather conditions and an accelerated delivery schedule allowed the facility to be completed prior to the start of the basketball season.