Thermal Mass, Energy Codes, and Precast Concrete
Mass walls in combination with insulation can save energy in buildings. This presentation describes the benefits of thermal mass (thermal inertia) and how these benefits are recognized in national energy codes. An overview of compliance paths of these energy codes is presented. The degradation of the R-value of concrete panels with metal thermal bridges that pass through the insulation is also described.
Credits: 1 PDH or AIA L
Precast Concrete Parking Structures
Delivered on 03/26/2020
Please join the local chapters of the Precast/Prestressed Concrete Institute (PCI) in attending this free AIA-CEU approved education webinar on the versatility of incorporating precast, prestressed concrete in the design and construction of parking structures.
This one-hour program is intended for professional designers. Basic parking planning strategies and garage types will be discussed. The qualities of precast concrete most suitable to the design and construction of parking structures will be presented.
CEU Credits: 1.0 AIA LU
- Identify the different precast concrete systems, advantages, and construction methods used in parking garages.
- Understand precast applications and uses
- Review typical precast components
- Learn about the manufacturing processes that give precast concrete its consistent high quality
- Gain insight on technical considerations including connections, construction and erection
- Understand the precaster’s role in assisting the design team
- Access industry resources available to designers
Our presenter is Mr. Paul Todd, Principal of Todd Architecture in Denver, Colorado.
Paul Todd holds Bachelor of Science in Architectural Studies and Master of Architecture degrees from the University of Illinois.
He has thirty-six years of experience in residential, governmental, and commercial projects, involving both new construction and rehabilitation of historic structures, including:
- over four million square feet of total precast concrete structures
- the first LEED™-certified office building in Colorado, and
- the first total-precast concrete LEED™-certified structure in the country.
He is a licensed architect and LEED™-accredited professional.
Architect's Toolbox - Precast / Prestressed Hollow-Core Concrete and How it is Made
Join PCI West and attend this timely upcoming webinar. AIA-CEU credits will be available for participants
This course instructs participants how to design and build utilizing hollow-core floors and walls. Participants also learn about the inherent fire resistance of hollow-core, a major life-safety consideration. Participants will be able to identify the different precast, prestressed hollow-core concrete systems. Explain the benefits of using precast, prestressed hollow-core concrete with owners and other designers.
In this webinar the participant will be able to:
- Identify the different precast, prestressed hollow-core concrete systems.
- Explain the benefits of using precast, prestressed hollow-core concrete.
- Discuss the benefits of using hollow-core concrete with owners and other designers.
- Discuss the basics of hollow-core concrete floors and walls.
Our presenters for this webinar are:
Erin Pratt, SE - Structural Engineering Manager for Clark Pacific and PCI West Producer Member
Farshad Mazloom, PE - Engineering Manager for Kie-Con, Inc. and PCI West Producer Member