Discover High Performance Precast
Recent code changes, increasing sustainability requirements, and a challenging economy are just some of the factors increasing demand for high-performance structures. However, high performance is not business-as-usual. The concept of ‘high-performance’ encompasses sustainability; however, it goes beyond a ‘this-or-that’ approach by requiring optimization of all relevant attributes for a project on a life cycle basis. This presentation will explain what high performance structures are, and how precast concrete can help you achieve your high performance project goals. The presentation also covers the basics of precast concrete, its applications, finishes, etc.
- Define what high performance structures are
- Discuss the advantages and long-term benefits of high performance design
- Describe how precast concrete contributes to design versatility, energy efficiency, and long-term building performance
- Explain the concept of resiliency and how high performance design incorporates it to provide multi-hazard protection
Artist’s Palette: The Aesthetic Versatility of Precast Concrete
The aesthetics of a structure are very important, as it is what most people identify with. High performance materials should provide aesthetic versatility in order to efficiently meet a structure’s architectural requirements. Precast concrete provides incredible aesthetic versatility from providing multiple colors and textures, to developing shapes, forms and very ornate details. Precast can also simulate or be veneered with natural materials providing all of their beauty, but with the added speed, durability, many other benefits of precast. This presentation will provide an overview of the many finishes available with precast concrete, along with methodologies for achieving them. We will also discuss combining multiple finishes into single panels, veneers and embedded materials, selection of mix designs, approaches to achieving colors, proper specification, and procedures to ensure expectations are aligned.
- Explain the finish options of precast concrete
- Describe methods to achieve color, form and texture
- Explain how clay products and natural stones can be veneered to precast concrete to speed construction and reduce costs
- Discuss the latest innovations in aesthetics and finishes
High Performance Precast Concrete Envelope Systems
A structure’s envelope has considerable impact on its overall performance, as highlighted by recent code changes. The envelope not only serves as a barrier between the outside environment and conditioned space, but also as a part of the aesthetic expression for the structure. It must also serve as a protective shield against environmental forces. High-performance building envelopes can help reduce the overall energy consumption of a structure throughout the structure’s life, and maintain and protect its interior environment and occupants.
This presentation addresses what high performance building envelopes are, as well as key elements to their performance. It will discuss how to use precast concrete wall systems to meet the latest code requirements such as continuous insulation and air barriers, and include topics such as moisture management, thermal mass effect and how to calculate effective R-values, integration with other building systems, and more. This session will also touch on the idea of resilience. A structure must be able to resist environmental forces, such as high winds and earthquakes in order to protect life and fulfill its intended purpose. Case studies are used to highlight information presented.
- Describe the three basic types of precast concrete envelope systems
- Describe new envelope code requirements
- Explain thermal mass and how to use it to create more energy efficient buildings
- Discuss moisture management methodologies