Precast/Prestressed Concrete 101 - Discover High Performance Precast
Participants will learn what precast, prestressed concrete products are, how they are manufactured, including structural theory of prestressing and quality assurance procedures. They will explore a variety of finishes and how each is created in terms of color, form and texture as well as how a structure must be able to resist environmental and man made hazardous forces such as high winds, earthquakes, fire and blasts to protect life. Case studies are used to highlight information presented. The session will end with an overview of industry support available to the design community, including published and electronic media.
- Define what high performance structures are
- Discuss the advantages and long-term benefits of high performance design
- Describe how precast concrete contributes to design versatility, energy efficiency, and long-term building performance
- Explain the concept of resiliency and how high performance design incorporates it to provide multi-hazard protection
Artist’s Palette: The Aesthetic Versatility of Precast Concrete
The aesthetics of a structure are very important, as it is what most people identify with. High performance materials should provide aesthetic versatility in order to efficiently meet a structure’s architectural requirements. Precast concrete provides incredible aesthetic versatility from providing multiple colors and textures, to developing shapes, forms and very ornate details. Precast can also simulate or be veneered with natural materials providing all of their beauty, but with the added speed, durability, many other benefits of precast. This presentation will provide an overview of the many finishes available with precast concrete, along with methodologies for achieving them. We will also discuss combining multiple finishes into single panels, veneers and embedded materials, selection of mix designs, approaches to achieving colors, proper specification, and procedures to ensure expectations are aligned.
- Explain the finish options of precast concrete
- Describe methods to achieve color, form and texture
- Explain how clay products and natural stones can be veneered to precast concrete to speed construction and reduce costs
- Discuss the latest innovations in aesthetics and finishes