The Manager - Codes & Standards (M-CS) reports to the Managing Director - Technical Activities at the PCI Headquarters Office in Chicago.
The M-CS is generally responsible for strategic and tactical management of PCI activities relating to the development and improvement of codes and standards that affect the Precast Concrete Structures Industry.
As a member of the PCI management team, the M-CS conducts program and project management, coordinates volunteer committee work, and generally supports strong organizational performance.
As a member of the PCI Technical Team, the M-CS provides leadership, guidance, and perspective on major technical issues confronting the industry and the Institute and works closely with other functional leaders in the Institute, both Staff and volunteer, in coordinating the Institute's technical activities.
The PCI Staff Technology Development area comprises PCI’s Technical, Research, and Code Development Programs. Guidance, direction, and substantial technical support for these programs is provided by the PCI Technical Activities Council, Research and Development Council, and Transportation Activities Council, each of which has a robust committee structure, augmented by PCI Staff and contracted technical assets.
PCI’s Code Development Program is dedicated to developing and improving code requirements for buildings and transportation structures in the US. It is conducted in close collaboration with ACI, ASCE, AASHTO, ASTM, ICC, and other associations.
As a result of the work of the M-CS:
- The PCI Body of Knowledge relating to codes and standards will be systematically developed and continuously updated.
- The strong strategic linkage between PCI’s Research, Technical, and Code Development Programs will be strengthened.
- These activities will be organized and managed to quickly and effectively transform the knowledge developed through research and engineering work into practical and innovative design methods and technologies that address industry and market needs, and, as appropriate, into building code provisions that support such methods and technologies.
- An optimal application of PCI’s technical and financial resources will be achieved, leveraged where possible with external technical and financial support, to deliver results that meet or exceed industry expectations within set schedule and budget constraints.
- Advance the interests of the Institute and the Industry within the major forums for developing structural, environmental, and fire codes and standards
- Monitor Code-related issues and actions taken by outside organizations and identify those that may impact the Industry or offer improvement opportunities
- Represent the Industry and the Institute in Code-related meetings, hearings, and presentations
- Identify and utilize other technical institutes, trade associations, government organizations, and other outside allies to support the Institute’s Code development objectives
- Implement and improve the Institute's Code Development Program, including planning, managing, and reporting relating to codes and standards
- Help develop plans and budgets for PCI’s Code Development Program and for individual code development projects
- Ensure that purpose and benefits of individual code change proposals are clearly identified, actively pursued, and measurably realized
- Provide technical direction and hands-on project management for individual code development projects
- Coordinate and participate in Industry Code strategy planning (Code Framework 2033)
- Prepare information, status, and perspective for distribution to PCI members and governance regarding PCI Code development activities
- Provide administrative and technical support to the PCI Building Code Committee and the PCI Industry Handbook Committee
- Provide or coordinate effective vigilance or industry representation, as appropriate, on committees and forums of other associations relating to the Institute’s technical activities
- Respond to inquiries from PCI members, the Industry, and the general public regarding Codes and PCI Code-related activities
- Coordinate volunteer and staff resources as appropriate for achieving objectives
- Manage PCI’s standard development process through the ANSI accredited procedures
- Manage contracted technical assets for specialty codes and standards activity and coordinate with other subject matter experts for specific tasks
- BS in Civil/Structural Engineering, construction management, or equivalent degree required (MS a plus)
- Registered Professional Engineer or Engineer-In-Training
- At least 5 years of relevant engineering experience
- Experience in design of precast concrete structures and code requirements
- Proven ability to simultaneously manage many diverse projects of varying complexities
- Track record of achieving goals and objectives and completing projects within schedule and budget
- Familiarity with the US model code and standards development process
- Demonstrated team playing, team building, and management skills
- Ability to travel up to 30% of the time
Candidate Descriptive Attributes
- A pro-active, goal-driven, results-oriented, hands-on manager
- An exceptional team player
- An articulate, persuasive, communicative, and congenial representative and spokesperson; possessing excellent stand-up presentation skills
- A talented, market-aware innovator and strategic thinker
- An experienced industry player who is sensitive to trends and nuances in the marketplace
- A highly organized, detail-oriented, time- and cost-conscious manager with good documentation skills
- A hard-working, dedicated employee who devotes extra time and effort when necessary to achieve objectives
- A perceptive and good listener with excellent collaborative interpersonal skills